Date:      Fri, 24 Jun 2011 03:31:00 -0500
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        Ganael Laplanche <ganael.laplanche@martymac.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [CFT] Likewise-open preliminary port

--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 10:09:23AM +0200, Ganael Laplanche wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>=20
> Over the past few weeks, I've been working on a Likewise-open [1] port an=
d am=20
> starting to get something useable.
>=20
> Technically speaking, the port builds fine on x86 and amd64 platforms (gc=
c-
> only ATM) and is able to use libraries from the ports tree instead of the=
 ones=20
> bundled in the source tarball.
>=20
> Basic functionality has been tested : with a local account database (SQLi=
te),=20
> I was able to retrieve account information through nsswitch as well as=20
> authenticate a user on sshd through PAM. The CIFS server also works : a l=
ocal=20
> Likewise user is able to connect to it.
>=20
> Anyway, I am not a Likewise expert and there are still several -important=
-=20
> tests to perform :
> - Try to join an Active Directory server and use it as an authentication=
=20
> source, instead of the local SQLite DB
> - Play with client-side commands (lwio-copy, lwio-fuse-mount) ; I could n=
ot=20
> get them work (see below) but I may have missed something
> - Try advanced CIFS server configurations
>=20
> Here are also remaining tasks that have to be done before the port can hi=
t the=20
> tree :
> - Write a rc.d startup script (probably a wrapper to the provided init.d=
=20
> scripts)
> - Fix build with clang
> - Try to build with Heimdal (?)
>=20
> I would be pleased to get feedback from you... any help or comment is wel=
come=20
> !

Have you tried asking Likewise for the ports they appear to be using
internally to build packages for FreeBSD?  While the normal Likewise
install location in /opt/likewise is non-standard, I suspect most
likewise users hardcode it in their scripts.  I know I do.  It seems
generally useful to ease the upgrade path from a likewise-open port to
likewise-enterprise.

-- Brooks

--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA

--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA--