Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 2003 14:57:14 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        Nick <freebsd@hardcoremods.com>
Subject:   Re: Changing out network card

Chuck Swiger wrote to Nick:

> Nick wrote:
> > I have a server running DHCPD, FTP, DNS (namedb), and OpenSSH.  My
> > current network card is a 3Com 10mbit.  I want to change it out for
> > another network card, but make it a 3com 100mbit.  Am I going to
> > have to reconfigure my DHCP, DNS and OpenSSH to use this new
> > interface, or is there another way of getting around all of that?
>
> Services usually care about IP addresses, not interface names.  You
> will need to change the interface name in /etc/rc.conf, but that
> should be it.

Actually, dhcpd cares about interfaces, too.. as does natd, if you're
running that. See dhcpd_interface in /usr/local/etc/rc.isc-dhcpd.conf,
and the "interface" parameter for natd, which could be in /etc/rc.conf
as natd_interface, or passed manually in /etc/rc.conf natd_flags, or
perhaps buried in a configuration file specified with the -f parameter
to natd.

Also, you might want to try this as root:

    grep -IR if0 /etc /usr/local/etc

Where if0 is the name of your current interface. For most systems, that
should catch just about everything.. but it'd be better to maintain a
list of places where you've had to enter your interface.

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-244-7037   Saskatoon