Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 1997 10:27:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        thorpej@nas.nasa.gov
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What is wrong with this snipet?

Jason Thorpe said:
> On Sat, 13 Sep 1997 16:34:42 -0700 (PDT)
>  Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net> wrote:
>
>  > Why would the following segfault on 6 of the 10 iterations?
>
> In the FreeBSD implementation of RFMEM (which does not match Plan 9's),
> the child gets the same stack as the parent.  If you "return" in the child,
> someone's stack gets munched.

We are going to be supporting a super efficient threads scheme that uses
the RFMEM capability.  Sample code to use RFMEM is available upon request.
It is already being used in commercial multi-threaded applications, but
isn't ready for inclusion in FreeBSD (yet), due to a lack of more general
userland support.  RFMEM supports full address space sharing in FreeBSD,
and it is a bug otherwise (whomever implemented it first.)

--
John
dyson@freebsd.org