Date:      Mon, 9 Mar 1998 22:16:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      Font <font@Mcs.Net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Does "a" flag to dump work?

I seem to recall (probably in one of Doug White's messages) hearing that
the "a" flag to dump (use end-of-media indication for tape changes) may
not have been working properly for some version of FreeBSD.  Having just
written a long dump and gotten a write error on an almost-new tape, I
think this may be happening to me, but I want to make sure that it is or
isn't before doing a hardware inspection.

I'm running 2.2.5-R on a Pentium 120, AHA-2940UW, and WangDAT 3400DX, with
90 m DAT tapes.  When I write many partitions to the tape with "dump 0auf
/dev/nrst0 /mymountpoint", I get a tape write error about 2 gigabytes into
the tape.

If the a flag is currently broken, then I may repartition new systems to
not have partitions greater than 2 gigabytes, or maybe I should just start
specifying the length for dump, too.  Hmm.

If this is fixed in STABLE, I'd love to test it out, if anyone knows the
status (if it is a bug, and not just me).

dw

A bug in my MUA causes news.announce.newusers                            font
to be sent to beneficiaries and senders of UCE/SPAM.                        @
                                                                      mcs.net
Wishes are like dishes.