Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 20:22:00 +0300 (MSK)
From:      "Aleksandr A.Babaylov" <babolo@links.ru>
To:        john@netpe.com.br (Joao Paulo Campello)
Cc:        marcel@cup.hp.com, marcel@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: linux_base6.1

Joao Paulo Campello writes:
> > The linux_base port installs a subset of what you would normally find on
> > a Linux box. There's no point in installing a complete Linux system. The
> > bottomline is that it is possible that a certain application expects a
> > certain binary to be in a certain directory while it isn't actually
> > there. This can easily be solved (just as a real Linux system): Install
> > the appropriate RPM (if applicable)...
>     Okay, I got it. Even though I've never expected my FreeBSD box to be a
> hundred percent compatible with a Linux system, I got disappointed when
> tried to install the jdk1.2.2 linux binary (it's java, I expected it to
> work) and it didn't work fine.
>     Gimme a hand: What's the suggest way to solve problems like a linux
> application not finding some other program in an expected dir? (like
> /usr/bin/expr). Should I symlink all the complained files or is there a
> way I can use RPM (like you said) and it would detect all the necessary
> files in /compat/linux/... ?
when dinamic linked linux binary tries to open /<some_path>,
try to open /compat/linux/<some_path> is first and if fail try /<some_path>
I don't know if it works for static linked and if it realised
in kernel or in libc.
For example try to explore local file system by linux netscape,
try for examle something like file:/usr and compare with /usr and
/compat/linux/usr

@BABOLO      http://links.ru/