Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2000 17:22:50 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        marcel@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I'm fixing the build/install kernel target

* Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> [000714 16:51] wrote:
> The default will no longer be GENERIC.  Having that default makes it
> way too easy to shoot yourself in the foot, it will be manditory to
> specify a KERNEL=.
>
> The install target will be corrected to behave the same way that
> the old install target from the kernel build directory does.  That
> means it will do the kernel->kernel.old and install over /kernel.
> The current way makes it overly complex and error prone.

Actually, I retract this, I'm leaving it broken and raising an
exception about how it's killing our newbies and suprising a lot
of our users.

Marcel, I'd appreciate you investigating fixing this.

The above fix could be done or several other options can be taken:

1) "GENERIC" -> "kernel", that way the default works
2) echo >> kernel="GENERIC" >> /boot/loader.conf
   # fix the /kernel thing to be /GENERIC in the installer
3) make a simplfied target that does the right thing (installing /kernel)
   rename the buildkernel and installkernel to something else replacing
   them with the simplified target.
4) the original suggestion: if the KERNEL var isn't set then bomb out,
   so the install to /kernel.

I like the 3 and 4, but 1 2 are pretty acceptable.

Making configuring a kernel more complex and error prone should
have never happened.

thanks,