Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2006 15:01:41 -0800
From:      "Gayn Winters" <gayn.winters@bristolsystems.com>
To:        "'Benjamin Sher'" <delphi123@zebra.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Urgent FreeBSD Boot question!

Welcome to FreeBSD!

Well, all is not lost. There are a couple possible errors you could have
made, but since XP is booting, my guess is that you installed FreeBSD
correctly on ad1 and you (hopefully) put the FreeBSD boot loader onto
the MBR of that disk.  If so, you have a couple options:

1.  Use the NT boot loader (see
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#NT-BOOTL
OADER ) on ad0.
2.  Install the FreeBSD boot loader on ad0.  To do this, boot the
FreeBSD install CD again and choose FixIt mode.  Get a shell going.  Use
boot0cfg to install the loader.  Check the syntax in the man pages
(http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi), but I think it is:
#boot0cfg -Bv -d 0x80 -m 0x1 -s 5 ad0

If somehow you failed to get the FreeBSD boot loader onto ad1, then
you'll have to use boot0cfg to fix that.  Its syntax will be something
like:
#boot0cfg -Bv -d 0x81 -m 0x1 -s 1 ad1

You do have a backup of your XP disk, don't you?  Errors using boot0cfg
can cause your system to be quite messed up!  Double check your
syntax!!!

Good luck!

-gayn

Bristol Systems Inc.