Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 09:28:12 -0700
From:      Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
Subject:   Re: multi-user: multiple consoles in FreeBSD

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 10:26:51 +0200 (MET DST)
 Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it> wrote:

 > With X it should be possible, but I don't know how. Any pointers would
 > be appreciated. In text mode however I am unaware of any possiblities,
 > largely lacking probably because of the fact that there are no
 > possiblities to connect more than one keyboard and screen anyway at the
 > moment. Up to now.

NetBSD's wscons can handle multiple text displays, keyboards, mice, etc.

The big problem is crappy PC hardware.  If you plop more than one PCI VGA
device in your system, You Lose, because they both attempt to map themselves
in compatibility space so that the BIOS can talk to them.

Some display controllers (notably, 3D accellerators) have a jumper to disable
VGA mode completely, but then you only get a memory mapped frame buffer (if
you're lucky :-)

Moffett Field, CA 94035                             Pager: +1 650 940 5942