Date:      Sat, 03 Feb 2001 01:18:08 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, John Indra <john@naver.co.id>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEVFS newbie...

> Once we have an extensible facility for mount options, you will be
> able to say:
>
> 	mount -t devfs devfs /home/jail/dev
> 	( cd /home/jail/dev ; rm $devices_i_dont_want_in_my_jails )
> 	mount -u -o nonewdev /home/jail/dev

Couldn't you also do "mount -t devfs -o nonewdev devfs /home/jail/dev"
and then cd /home/jail/dev ; rm $devices_i_dont_want_in_my_jails ?  It
seems that "read my lips: no new devices" should be an option you can
set from the very initial mount so that people can't also figure out
how to get root, remove a /dev entry and replace it with one of their
own.  Come to think of it, there should also be a -o staticdev option
to disallow *any* changes after the initial mount.  That would make
some of our more paranoid sysadmins happy.

- Jordan