Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 13:41:51 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Michael R. Wayne" <wayne@msen.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Install problems with FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE

(-questions readded to the list.  This could interest other people
too).

On Tuesday, 28 July 1998 at  0:01:28 -0400, Michael R. Wayne wrote:

>> Moved to -questions.  I see nothing in this message that suggests it's
>> a detailed technical discussion.
>>
>> On Saturday, 25 July 1998 at  5:18:40 -0400, wayne@msen.com wrote:
>>>
>>> Trying to from-scratch via-ftp install 2.2.7 and seeing an odd
>>> problem.  Most of the way through the process an error occurs.  The
>>> screen says something like "if this is repeatable send mail".  While
>>> it's repeatable (takes about 40 minutes to get there so we only did it
>>> 3 times), instead of pausing at this point, the machine reboots so fast
>>> after printing this that the message is not easily read.
>>
>> OK, it's something like  "if this is repeatable send mail".  What's it
>> exactly like?  Under what circumstances does it happen?
>
> Problem:  It takes 40 minutes to get to this point, then a message is
> on the screen for about a second.  NOT easy to give precise diagnosis.

Ugh.  All the more reason to describe it as well as you can.

> I felt it was a TECHNICAL problem because any error message like that
> should HALT the install process, not cause the machine to reboot giving
> no indication that there was a problem.

Agreed.  If you're implying that that's a reason to send it to
-hackers, though, I disagree.  -hackers is less about bugs than about
(actively) improving the system by way of code modification.  Check
out http://www.lemis.com/questions.html and let me know if there's
anything that could be improved there.

> I ran it again and the same thing happened, again I was unable to get
> much more off the screen.  Repeated, I >think< it happened but I missed
> it (at least the machine rebooted).  Repeated again, that time it went
> OK (although I saw something about DEBUG on the screen).

You could at least describe what you did and at what point this
happened.  What you've said so far could be summarized as "there's a
bug".  We need a little bit more in order to fix it.

Greg