Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 11:24:04 -0700
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        Munehiro Matsuda <haro@tk.kubota.co.jp>
Cc:        taku@cent.saitama-u.ac.jp, julian@elischer.org, abc@bsdi.com, abial@webgiro.com, gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Maestro2E patch (Was: US$100 prize for adding ESSAudiodrivesupport   to pcm)

Munehiro Matsuda wrote:

> Hello Joseph,
>
> From: Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
> Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 17:36:52 -0700
> ::> I have created a patch that trys to enable internal speakers.
> ::
> ::      The first part of the patch (for maestro.c) didn't apply cleanly for
> ::me, so I ended up doing it by hand.
>
> Thats funny. Did you aply my patch to the original 20000725 version?

	Yes.  I even went and redownloaded it to make sure.  The first patch
you included below didn't apply cleanly either.  I applied it by hand
again.

> ::> It worked for me (NEC VersaProNX VA26D), but I'm not sure if it works
> ::> for everybody. Patch is based on Linux driver, but simplified.
> ::>
> ::> If it does not work, 1) try setting GPIO values to what your PC is at
> ::> when rebooting from Windows, 2) try original way the Linux driver do.
> ::> Let me know, if you want to know what Linux driver does.
> ::
> ::      Unfortunately this didn't work for mine (Dell Inspiron 7500).  How to
> ::I find out the GPIO values that make windows work?  I'm open to trying
> ::what the Linux driver does.  Mind you my C programing skills are
> ::pretty much useless, but I'm willing to try things out :-)
>
> Aha, Dell Inspiron 7500!
> There was some extra stuff in the Linux driver for it.
> I have recreated my patch (mstr2_spk.patch2) to include them.
> Please aply the new patch to the original 20000725 version source code!

	This seems to have to done the trick!  I now get sound out of both
internal speakers!  Yeah!!!!

> And also, I added a small patch (mstr2_gpio.patch) that should print
> GPIO values. Aply GPIO patch after the mstr2_spk.patch2!

	I didn't try this patch since the first one got the speakers
working.  Would it be helpful to find out GPIO values at this point?
If so let me know and I'll apply the patch and see what I get.
Otherwise I'll just go with what I've got.

> Let me know how that works out.
>
> BTW, I'll be out of town for few days. So my reply may get delayed. sorry.
>
> Thank you,
>   Haro

	No problem.  Thank you again, now I won't have to carry about
headphones or external speakers with my notebook :-)

--
Joseph Scott
joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu