Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 16:26:51 -0800
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Transmit Buffer

Question: I keep getting transmit buffer messages on my FreeBSD box which I
am using to run an Unreal Tournament server.  Every time it gives me such a
message it says it's made an adjustment to the buffer size.  The messages
are very infrequent now, almost nonexistant, which leads me to believe
FreeBSD has adjusted it's behavior/settings to match the type of load on my
server (which I think is _very_ cool).  However, I'm just wondering if I can
set these settings manually in order to test settings.

There's one thing I like about Windows which I haven't yet learned how to do
with FreeBSD.  In Windows, I can customize my box to use certain resources
for certain things.  For example, if I want to use 32 or 64 megs of memory
for a disk cache, I can do that.  You think, why the hell would you want to
do that ?  Well, sometimes I have machines, like file servers, which the
most important thing they do is serve files.  When I turn the disk caching
up this high, the disk rarely gets touched, which saves on the life of my
disk.  The point is, I know what type of load my machine is going to have,
and how much resources it has, and I want to be able to decide how much of X
resource is used for Y task.  I asked once how I could modify the disk
cache/buffering settings for FreeBSD, and was basically told, don't touch,
let FreeBSD handle it.  I'm glad FreeBSD is intelligent enough to decide how
to use my resources, but what if I feel that there's alot of memory free,
like 95 megs, and I want to reduce the beating my hard drive is taking.  Is
there an option to do this ?  I know of the MFS/tmp optimization and I've
tried this out with mixed results.