Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 2003 13:25:13 +0100
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sten_Daniel_S=F8rsdal?= <sten.daniel.sorsdal@wan.no>
To:        "Josh Brooks" <user@mail.econolodgetulsa.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD firewall for high profile hosts - waste of time ?

  What is the size of your pipe?
	If the pipe is big, then so should your BSD box be.
	The only time i've used something as small as 500ghz Celery it=20
	was for a puny 10mbit.

  What kind of network adapters are you using?
	I cant recommend using anything other than Intel.=20
	The drivers suck for the other cards.

  Have you applied POLLING (man polling)?=20
	If the computer in itself chokes, this will in almost every case=20
	prevent that. ( Requires cards such as Intel )

  Do you filter outgoing packets so that your pipe wont be filled with =
ICMP's or
  RST's on exit? Dummynet is good for that. If the incoming attack isnt =
large enough
  to completely block your pipe one way, it often blocks on exit as the =
  go back.

  Do you limit the amount of ICMP responses on each of the servers?

  May i suggest using creative routing for packets on exit going to =
unassigned or
  unroutable nets?

  How about getting a (perhaps smaller/cheaper) secondary pipe that also =
announce your network
  often the attacks go in on one pipe but let the other pipe go free. - =
This applies mainly
  when you are the one announcing the networks through BGP or in same =
provider cases - OSPF.

  But yes, in my opinion, a FreeBSD firewall is worth using your time =
with.

Med vennlig hilsen / Best regards=20

Sten Daniel S=F8rsdal=20