Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 21:43:37 -0500
From:      Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@attbi.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GCC 3.2.2 import -- questions

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 08:06:19PM -0600, Juli Mallett wrote:
> I would assume the OP meant relative to the previous version of GCC in
> tree.  Current hasn't been 2.95.x for some time.

Many people are upgrading from 4.7.x to -current for the first
time these days, so I thought I would mention that for reference.

GCC 3.2.2 was an incremental bugfix over GCC 3.2.1, and there are no
earth-shattering performance improvements.  I have not done
such benchmarking myself, so have no empirical evidence to support this,
but I am basing this on the traffic I have been watching on the
GCC mailing list, and by reading the release notes
at http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.2/changes.html .

There is a long thread on the GCC mailing list right now complaining
about compile-time speed regressions from 2.95.x, with many complaints
coming from Apple:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2003-02/msg00558.html

Whether these complaints lead to actual improvements is yet to be seen....

--
Craig Rodrigues
http://home.attbi.com/~rodrigc