Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 2002 16:43:19 +0100
From:      Rob O'Donnell <robert@aphnet.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        "David Lawson" <dlawson@gsc.net>
Subject:   Re: sendmail: operation timed out

sorry to reply to my own question, but thought it better to post, if only
for archives.  I've spent most of the day on various search engines...

ok, problem seems to be identical to that mentioned on:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&th=781ff160426bbde
9&seekm=9oiqgo%24a8l%241%40FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.edu.tw#link10

(news: mailing.freebsd.stable - 22/09/2001 - "something strange with
sendmail 8.11.6 on FreeBSD")

ie IPv6 lookups are getting returned by the site's (Micro$oft) DNS server
incorrectly, and the stock sendmail in 4.5 objects.  (the dig command in
that thread returns the same error on my system.)

I'll have a play with the patches there, and/or latest version of sendmail.

Thanks for the help,

Rob.

--
APH Computers Ltd.