Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 18:30:21 +0000
From:      Geoff Buckingham <geoffb@chuggalug.clues.com>
To:        Nick Hilliard <nick@iol.ie>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Threads and my new job.

On Wed, Nov 24, 1999 at 01:31:44PM +0000, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> > Why do we need to smite the Linux database servers? With threads in their
> > current state they already outperform Linux's native threads by ~50x for
> > things like sending mail. I would assume that the differences in database
> > performance is similar.
>
> The threads (& the old nfs issues which have now thankfully been fixed) in
> their current state led bCandid to write about the Cyclone news router:
>
> : Issues the w/FreeBSD kernel and buggy threads have required our development
> : team to wait until improvements to the OS can be made.  We did have a beta
> : posted on our website for a while but have since removed it.
>
> disclaimer: I am not a thread hacker.

To this I would add that a number of commercial products currently available
for FreeBSD depend on the Linux threads implimentation, notably Inktomis'
depending on the future of the linux threads stuff, some diplomacy and
vendor support may be necesary.

What is the current status of the linux threads (Particularly with regard to
SMP, which I recall was a problem)?

How far from the userland bound original has libc_r moved ?

Is the BSDi thread stuff completely seperate from all of this?

--
GeoffB