Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 20:30:05 +1030
From:      Ian West <ian@apdata.com.au>
To:        Graeme Brown <graeme.brown@bt-sys.bt.co.uk>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why does it it take so long to establish a connection to some  FreeBSDhosts ?

Graeme Brown wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have noticed on several occasions that it may take on the order of minutes
> to establish
> a telnet or ftp connection between two FreeBSD (typically our FBSD
> boxes are using releases 2.2.6 -> 2.2.8.  Does this have something to do with
> TCP configuration options ? What do I need to do to speed this up ?
>
> TIA
>
> Graeme N Brown
> BT labs, Uk
> email: graeme.brown@bt-sys.bt.co.uk

When I have seen this, it is usually due to DNS lookups timing out,
either due to
an unresolveable source address, or a loss of connection to the master
DNS server.
Easy answer if you are using local boxes is to make sure /etc/hosts is
referenced first
(/etc/host.conf), and put the interfaces of the two boxes into
/etc/hosts.

If do not have DNS enabled, then I have no idea :-)