Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 1996 21:07:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Updating advice

On Wed, 5 Jun 1996, Dave Babler wrote:

> I am currently running 2.0.5 installed vie floppies from the Walnut Creek
> CD. Hardware is a 486DX2-66, 500MB Maxtor IDE, 16MB RAM, Intel
> EtherExpress and an internet connection. The initial installation was a
> "look-see" ... I liked what I saw. The original installation was via
> floppy images because I had no CD-ROM on the target machine.

OK so far.  You're a bit behind on 2.0.5.

> I've since
> been adding bits and pieces with the ports collection and now have the 2.1
> CD. I have been unable to make a spare CD-ROM drive and controller work.
> The controller, a Future Domain 840 is recognized by the sea0 driver, but
> the drive (an NEC CDR-36) is not. The driver returns "arbitration
> timeout" when probing for devices. So unless somebody can help me fix
> that one, I still can't directly access the CD.

Try upgrading to 2.1-R or wait for the upcoming 2.1.1-R.

> I keep finding that the ports files are behind the available distfiles,
> and often the specified source isn't even available any more. I also
> would like to update the whole release to -stable or -current but at a
> loss to determine a rational way to do that without losing what work I've
> done. With only 500MB to work with (less... I need to reset as much as I
> can for users) I'm not sure it's feasable to maintain the whole source
> tree. I have no desire for any X-windows applications - the system is
> intended for use by ANSI-only users. As mentioned, I have a live internet
> connection. What is my best path for upgrading?

Well, you need enough to get the whole source tree and rebuild.  That is
a requirement.  I'm in a similar predicament as you, although I have a
500 mb disk that I've filled with all my junk.  :-)  I'm going to trade
the contents of my 1gb Western Digital and this 540mb Maxtor.  Just don't
use DOS as much as I used to.  :-)