Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 1996 21:58:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: iijppp problems - related to interrupts?

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the reply...

Gary Palmer wrote...
> John Brann wrote in message ID
> <199603262340.SAA02049@jbrann.dialup.access.net>:

[... stuff deleted...]

> > Is the interrupt level extraordinary?
>
> I should say so. From my machine, which for a while was downloading a
> large file at 3.1K sec with a 115200 baud DTE rate to a 28k8
> modem. I'm using a 16550 COM port:
>
> gary@palmer:~> vmstat -i
[vmstat details deleted]
> Total         2812314      366

The thing about vmstat is that it averages over the whole of uptime.  I'm
suffering big spikes.

> The modem is on sio1... My IRQ rate (total) is 366/sec on average.
>
> > If so, what can I do - is it a hardware problem?
>
> Possibly. Do you have a FIFO'd COM port (a 16550) or one of the older,
> non-FIFO'd ports?

Nope...
dmesg says:

sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio1: type 16550A

> I don't think (however) that this problem is tracable to the
> IRQ's... Have you tried updating the kernel & ppp binaries?

I run a custom kernel - nothing fancy, just trimmed down to my devices.
ppp is as per 2.1.0 release, but I've been having exactly the same problem
since last June.

> Gary

Regards,

John	(An English ex-pat in New York...)

--
Beavis and Butt-Head;  Vladimir and Estragon for the '90s.

finger jbrann@panix.com for pgp public key