Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 23:49:37 +0200
From:      Gert-Jan Vons <vons@iname.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrade to FBSD3.3 on P166+ -> lower RC5 keyrate ?

Giorgios Keramidas wrote:

>Gert-Jan Vons <vons@iname.com> writes:
>
> > my FBSD server (Cyrix P166+ rev 1.7) is running the rc5-64 client.
> >
> > Under FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE, it ran at ~235KKeys/sec.
> >
> > Two days ago, I installed FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE, and now my keyrate is down
> > to ~165KKeys/sec.
> >
> > Since the machine's setup and kernel configuration didn't change at all, I
> > wonder why this happens, what change between 3.2R and 3.3R could have
> > caused this ?
>
>1. Did you add some service after the upgrade?
>
>2. Are you using X11 now, which was not used in 3.2R?
>
>Something must 've changed...

It is the exact same config...

I looked into it a little further:

booting the FBSD 3.3R system in single user mode and running rc5des ->
175KKeys/sec

Copying a FBSD 3.2 generic kernel from the 3.2 CD into the / of the 3.3R
installation,
booting single user with that kernel and running rc5des -> 238KKeys/sec

So by only changing the kernel, I have a 25% difference in performance.
Running truss on rc5des shows it calls gettimeofday() a couple of
times/sec, and sometimes getpriority()/setpriority(),
and that's about it.

The only possibly relevant changes I could find at the kernel level are
related to the scheduler, no changes in the cpu initialisation it seems.
But how come then that there's such a big difference even in single-user mode ?

Confused,

         Gert-Jan