Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 15:13:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
To:        Phillip Grasso-Nguyen <phillipg@magna.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a Layer 4 Switch,

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Phillip Grasso-Nguyen wrote:

> Would it be possible to use FreeBSD as a layer 4 switch,
>
> So it can do port redirection, and possible have 2 boxes for redundancy

Sure. ipfw forward could do most(well, all) of the work of the port
redirection. socket(1) (from the ports collection) can be used as well, at
the cost of a fork() (or however inetd does it's thing, I don't feel like
getting out my UNP book :>) for each connection.

Redundancy however is another interesting question/.

- bill fumerola - billf@chc-chimes.com - BF1560 - computer horizons corp -
- ph:(800) 252-2421 - bfumerol@computerhorizons.com - billf@FreeBSD.org  -