Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 18:18:41 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        netadmin@fastnet.co.uk (Jay Tribick)
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Err.. cat exploit.. (!)

According to Jay Tribick:
> bofh$ cat sendmail.st
> `ay5habf33*`ma}`)`Jj]:        Jsu-2.01$ xtermxterm
> su: xtermxterm: command not found
> bofh$
>
> This seems quite scarey to me, couldn't someone embed 'rm -rf /'
> within a text file and then, if root cats the file it nukes
> their system?

I'm not completely clear on what that is, but I've seen it also. What I
_am_ completely clear about is that it's got nothing to do with cat, and
instead everything to do with xterm. I guess it's some code sequence that
comes up that makes xterm do something. Kinda like the code that sets the
xterm title.

  /Mikael