Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 11:25:16 -0500
From:      Rick Siple <RickSiple@mpainc.com>
To:        "'freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Port replicator with PCMCIA slots

Hello,

	I sent this message once, but it apparently did not make it
through. Exchange says it delivered it but...anyway, here is my
question:

	I am having some trouble with the PCMCIA support in
FreeBSD-2.2.5 (-stable as of Thu 11/13, CTM patch 506 if that means
anything).  The strange bit is this, FreeBSD will not recognize the
PCI-to-PCMCIA bridge in the WinBook FX I am using (Cirrus Logic CL-6730)
but it will find the bridge in the port replicator (same variety
CL-6730).  I had at first suspected that FreeBSD was only finding one
controller and would find the internal one when undocked, but it does
not.  2.2.2 exhibited the same behavior, I was hoping 2.2.5 would fix
it.

>From dmesg I get:
Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
chip0 <Intel 82437MX mobile PCI cache memory controller> rev 2 on pci0:0
chip1 <Intel 82371MX mobile PCI I/O IDE accelerator (MPIIX)> rev 3 on
pci0:1
chip2 <generic PCI bridge (vendor=8086 device=123b subclass=4)> rev 0 on
pci0:17
chip3 <generic PCI bridge (vendor=1013 device=1100 subclass=5)> rev 254
int a irq ?? on pci0:19
vga0 <VGA-compatible display device> rev 0 int a irq ?? on pci0:20
Probing for devices on PCI bus 1:
chip4 <generic PCI bridge (vendor=1013 device=1100 subclass=5)> rev 238
int a irq ?? on pci1:10
ep0 not found at 0x300
PC-Card Cirrus Logic PD672X (5 mem & 2 I/O windows)
pcic: controller irq 9
Initializing PC-card drivers: ep sio
Card inserted, slot 1
ep0: utp/bnc[*UTP*] address 00:20:af:0e:53:7f

Chips 3 and 4 seem to be the PCMCIA bridges (vendor 1013 is Cirrus
Logic) as both devices id the same.  Also, chips 2 and 4 are not probed
if the WinBook FX is undocked (chip2 is presumably the PCI-to-PCI bridge
to the port replicator).  The only thing different is the rev (revision?
254 vs. 238) which might be the problem.

The config file for the kernel has:
#
# PCCARD/PCMCIA
#
# crd: slot controller
# pcic: slots
controller	card0
controller	card1
controller	pcic0 at card0
controller	pcic1 at card0
controller	pcic2 at card1
controller	pcic3 at card1

Obviously I tried to add another controller (card1) and two more slots
(pcic2 and 3) to no avail.  There do not seem to be any IRQ, DMA, etc
settings to tweak.

There are four card devices in the /dev directory (card0 through card3)
which seem to be the slots (not the controllers as the config file would
seem to imply).  There does not seem to be any device(s) that I could
find that represent the slot controller(s), but I could be wrong.

Ideas?

Thanks.

-Rick Siple
RickSiple@MPAInc.com