Date:      Sun, 18 Jul 1999 06:33:50 +0200
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@scotty.masternet.it>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is possible that our bootblock ...

At 18/07/99, you wrote:
>> ... that is installed by boot0cfg is not able to boot Linux partition,
>> even if they are corrected identified ?
>
>At least RedHat has taken to installing Linux in extended DOS partitions
>by default.  (I've no idea about other distributions.)  Unless you're
>going to rely on LILO or some other non-standard boot manager, you don't
>want to do this for two reasons:
>
>    o Linux has no business being in an extended DOS partition in the
>      first place.
>
>    o Only primary partitions are startable (bootable).
>
>However, you can override this and ensure that a primary partition is
>used.  If that is done, boot0 boots RH 5.2 fine.

Uhm, firts of all thanks for your kind reply...
Btw :

1) Linux partitions are primary: type 131 and 130 (The hd has 4 primary
partitions: FreeBSD , Windows, Linux Native, Linux Swap)

2) I used the same ones for every Linux installation Debian, Suse,
Mandrake, Slackware... But the only one able to reboot remains debian...

>> It works only with Linux partition installed by Debian (2.1)...  All
>> the other (Redhat 5.2, 6.0 ; Suse 6.1, turbolinux, Mandrake, Slackware
>> etc etc ) fails to boot and appears the prompt F? ... everything else
>> (FreeBSD or windows) boot correctly...
>
>If you are getting a F? prompt, you're using BootEasy not boot0.

This is funny and now I am confused ...
This was happening on my seaside box that hadn't a modem so I couldn't use
email from there...
(Now I have bought it and in a few hours I'll come back there and install
it :-)
I have installed bootblock by /stand/sysinstall, now things are:

1) I really don't remember well if it is the real shape of the prompt....
2) sysinstall of 3.2-RELEASE don't install boot0 but booteasy .....

But it is easier I am wrong in remembering the prompt (option 1) :-)
but I am not wrong in the fact that are all primary partitions, otherwise
it doesn't display something like this :

F1: ???
F2: FreeBSD
F3: Linux
F4: Linux

I'll let you know...

Thanks again for your attention...

P.s.
I don't like Linux, these test are only to know "enemy" better :-)

P.P.s
What about boot0 to recognize also fat32 partitions ?? and what about to
change the 130 to Linux Swap ??? Yes I know the space is not so big in mbr,
but can find a little deleting smething else ???

Best Regards,
Gianmarco Giovannelli ,  "Unix expert since yesterday"
http://www.giovannelli.it/~gmarco
http://www2.masternet.it