Date:      Sat, 03 Oct 1998 10:54:25 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Device Drivers for Linux and Intel's annoucement

At 09:49 PM 10/2/98 -0700, Mike Smith wrote:

>As someone relatively impartial in this spittle-fest, I would just like
>to point out that Walnut Creek are not "unwilling" to make any
>investment in FreeBSD.
>
>Quite the contrary in fact; most businesses wouldn't even dream of
>spending as much to promote and support the FreeBSD Project as WC does.

Well, then, where are the ads? Where are the value-added utilities?
Where's the advocacy? Where are the press releases? Where are the
announcements from Intel, Corel, Caldera, Novell, Oracle, Sybase,
etc.?

Obviously, WC is not doing quite the job that Red Hat is doing.

>I doubt that any one organisation has spent, or continues to spend,
>more money in direct support of any open-source operating system
>project.

Well, if it's spending more money than Red Hat, it must be pouring
it down the drain, because it is not accomplishing any of the things
mentioned above.

>The "problem" is that they're effectively alone.  Apart from some (often
>generous) donations from other organisations, Walnut Creek are the only
>company spending money on FreeBSD as such.  We're spending about as
>much as we can make right now, and investing more.

Would Walnut Creek rather see a schism which would reduce its revenue
scheme from the product?

>If you want an idea of the issues here, Walnut Creek has three employees
>working on FreeBSD fulltime.  RedHat have fifty.

Waitaminnit. Just above, you said that you doubted that "any one organisation
has spent, or continues to spend, more money [than WC] in direct support
of any open-source operating system project." Yet, here, you say that
Red Hat is devoting the full time efforts of 50 employees to the project!
Something does not add up! Running a bigger FTP server is a drop in the
bucket compared to the cost of 50 employees.

--Brett Glass