Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 10:09:30 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
Cc:        Joao Paulo Campello <john@netpe.com.br>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: linux_base6.1

"Jose M. Alcaide" wrote:

> Just after finding that /compat/linux/bin/tar was missing, I was
> somewhat upset: why tar is not included in linux_base? It's basic,
> after all! But then I realized that we cannot include everything
> in linux_base. Of course, we could discuss what utilities should be
> included, and what shouldn't, but I doubt we could eventually agree.
> Conclusion: let's Marcel decide! :-)

Ahem :-)

The tar(1) command isn't in linux_base because our tar(1) is
sufficiently compliant. Unfortunately tar(1) is referenced with an
absolute path in this case...

> After installing Matlab, I have a question. What is the best procedure
> for adding a RPM package to /compat/linux? I used rpm-2.5.6 to install
> tar in this way:
>
> mkdir /compat/linux/var/tmp
> rpm -U --ignoreos --root /compat/linux --dbpath /var/lib/rpm --nodeps --replacepkgs tar-1.13.11-1.i386.rpm
> rmdir /compat/linux/var/tmp   [just to leave things as before]
>
> I figured the options reading the linux_base's Makefile. Anyway,
> this is somewhat tricky... Is there a better (i.e., easier) solution?
> (for example, using /compat/linux/bin/rpm...)

I think this is the safest for now, because linux_base-6.1 installs rpm
3.x which, guess what, has a backward incompatible database format. If
you use the Linux rpm, the database will be converted and from that
moment on you can only use the Linux rpm. After we have upgraded our rpm
port, I'd say that using the Linux rpm is more easy (``rpm -i
tar-1.13.11-1.i386.rpm'' would probably be enough)...

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org