Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 2003 17:21:32 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Daniel Ellard <ellard@eecs.harvard.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: finding changes from one release/patch level to another?

--xXmbgvnjoT4axfJE

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 09:26:49AM -0500, Daniel Ellard wrote:
>=20
> Something slightly broke the em (gigabit ethernet) driver between
> 4.6.2p4 and 4.6.2p6, and I'm trying to figure what the change was so I
> can back it out on my machine.  In 4.6.2p6 almost everything works,
> but programs that push the device (such as netperf) can hang.  The
> same program running on other ethernet devices (fxp, xl) works fine.
> This happens on several machines, and they were all running correctly
> before I updated them, so I doubt that it is a hardware problem.
>=20
> I don't see any changes for the em driver source itself between p4 and
> p6, and the announced differences between these patch levels don't
> look related, but something must have changed.  Is there a
> straightforward way to track down all the source code differences
> between p4 and p6 (or any arbitrary pair of patchlevels)?

Since patchlevel bumps on the security branches are not accompanied by
CVS tagging, the only way I can think of would be a formail-like filter
on the messages in the commit logs, available in CVSROOT/commitlogs
after a CVSup of the CVS repository.  The filter would have to parse the
multi-line commit messages, and look for a (branch: RELENG_4_6) token on
the Modified files: line.

You might have to make several passes, seeing as the commit logs are
separated by category; start with a pass over 'sys' to establish the
dates of the newvers.sh patchlevel bumps (you could do that part by
hand), then run through all the other logs to isolate commits within
that time interval.  Not trivial, but not too hard - sounds like 20
minutes of Perl scripting...  unfortunately, those are 20 minutes that I
do not have right now to offer you a prototype :(

I wonder..  I wonder if it might be easier to run the commit logs
through another filter first, which would format them as e-mail
messages, or just grab the cvs-all list archives, then use something
similar to procmail's formail(1) to work on that.  The cvs-all archives
would have the advantage of the X-CVS-Branch: header, so parsing is
limited to a run through grep -q before processing.  That *might* indeed
be easier...

Of course, there could be a third, obvious solution, that we are both
missing :)

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net	roam@FreeBSD.org
Do you think anybody has ever had *precisely this thought* before?

--xXmbgvnjoT4axfJE

--xXmbgvnjoT4axfJE--