Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 15:39:46 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        stuyman@confusion.net (Laurence Berland)
Cc:        wes@softweyr.com (Wes Peters), rara.rasputin@virgin.net (Rasputin), ragnar@sysabend.org (Jamie Bowden), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

Laurence Berland wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Wes Peters wrote:
>
> > Laurence Berland wrote:

> > > I think the discussion is Re: binary upgrades, like putting in the CD and
> > > hitting that upgrade option, which right now doesn't quite get you there
> > > afaik.
> >
> > I don't think the goal was to make the system easier to upgrade, but rather
> > easier to subset.  Do we really NEED to have sendmail on every DNS server
> > we put together?
>
> Also very true.  But in the context of upgrades, which is what Rasputin
> was coming from, it's a binary upgrade issue, not a source one, which is
> why cvsup isn't a fair comparison.  I definitely think it'd be nice to
> have things like sendmail somewhat more separate.

Right, but updates were NOT the driving REASON for removing chunks
of FreeBSD to ports.  Of course this change will have ramifications
for updates.  The primary change, from my viewpoint, is that I
don't have to wait to update sendmail on my DNS servers, because
sendmail won't be part of the default system anymore.  Yippee!