Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 23:00:07 +0100 (CET)
From:      Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   suspend/resume panic on Thinkpad T20

Hi -current,

I already posted my problem to -mobile and got some useful tips there, but
I still need some advice from you, and I hope someone can take a look at
my problem.

I upgraded my laptop from 4.7 to 5.0 via make world. The upgrade went
quite smooth, but then I recognized that suspend/resume doesn't work at
all when ACPI is enabled (please see my thread at -mobile for this).

So I disabled ACPI and put APM back in, since APM worked very well under
4.7. Now I can suspend and resume on the console, but if I suspend when
I'm in X, the machine gets stuck in a deadlock (so I have to power cycle).

Someone on -mobile suggested to switch to a different vty before
suspending. Ok, I did, and suspend works, but when I resume I hit a kernel
panic. The strange thing is that it doesn't dump core onto swap although I
configured dumpdev and everything (and I usually get a nice core dump if
the machine panics).

So the only information I have so far is this:

pcm0: unregister: mixer busy
csa: card is Thinkpad 600X/A20/T20
panic: resource_list_alloc: resource entry is busy

syncing disks, buffers remaining... panic: bwrite: buffer is not busy???
Uptime: 4m5s
Dumping 255 MB             <---- it says so, but it doesn't do it
ata0: resetting devices ..

fault virtual address    =3D 0x24
fault code               =3D supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer      =3D 0x8:0xc025c166
stack pointer            =3D 0x10:0xcd26ec88
frame pointer            =3D 0x10:0xcd26ec88
code segment             =3D base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
=3D DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags =3D interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL =3D 0
current process          =3D 20 (irq11: cbb0 cbb1+++)
trap number              =3D 12
panic: page fault
Uptime: 4m5s
pfs_vncache_unload(): 1 entries remaining
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
--> Press a key on the console to reboot,
--> or switch off the system now.
Rebooting...

Since the current process seems to have something to do with cardbus
(cbb0, cbb1), I tried to remove it from the kernel. I still got the same
panic, but with "fxp0, uhci0+" as process number 20 on irq 11.

I'm currently building with DDB, so maybe I can get a core dump.

Any tips or suggestions are appreciated.

Please keep me CC'ed.

thanks,
le

--=20
Lukas Ertl                              eMail: l.ertl@univie.ac.at
UNIX-Systemadministrator                Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073
Zentraler Informatikdienst (ZID)        Fax.:  (+43 1) 4277-9140
der Universit=E4t Wien                    http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~le/