Date:      Tue, 25 Dec 2001 00:13:23 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg-bsd@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        Gary Jennejohn <garyj@jennejohn.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ifpi2 problems

I have been trying out the ifpi2 driver.  I first tried in a -current
machine and all worked OK (though I didn't thrash it particularly hard).
I am now trying to use it in a 486 running -stable.

The setup is (at present) just using the ISDN for single-channel outgoing
calls with user-ppp/rbch.  If I use it 'gently' it all works fine - I have
been online for an hour or so reading mail via ssh with no problem.
However, if I try web browsing to graphics-heavy sites, it stops working
within about 2 minutes.

The failure state is as if interrupts from the card have become disabled:
the ppp process is still running and eventually times out the connection
and attempts to redial, but isdnd thinks that the connection is in use,
and if I make a voice call to the line, ISDND doesn't report anything.
Only a reboot seems to clear the latched up state.

Unfortunately my setup here is extremely inconvenient for debugging (this
is a router for my parents' new home, where the ISDN line plus this
486 are in a cupboard in a different building from the room where
the main PC is kept; the router has no console and I forgot to bring the
right cable so I can't even plug in a laptop as console...).

I will try to debug further tomorrow, but any hints would be gratefully
received.

PS. are you sure that having a device name ending in a digit is a good
idea?  It gives very confusing effects if you forget the quotes around the
  device "ifpi2"
line in the kernel config file, as well as the rather odd
  ifpi20: blah
messages on the console.