Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 1997 08:14:04 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Christoph Haas <haas@willi.lion.de>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Publicity (was: Re: "The competition")

> But it can't be too difficult, can it ? I'm sure if one or two people with

Yes, it really can.  You ever wonder why it is that advertising
agencies charge so much money for their services? :-)

You need to have a reasonable 4 color ad with some eye-catching
artwork and (most importantly) you need good *advertising copy* to
describe the product in whatever marketspeak terms will generate the
most sales.

Then the whole thing needs to be laid out properly, so it all looks
good and fits within the space constraints of the ad, and is pleasing
to the appearance.

I don't know... I've seen a team of 4 people work for 6 weeks just on
the *rough draft* for a automobile advertisement, and they still
weren't done.  I think it's probably more work than you think. :-)

Still, not to discourage you - I agree with all of your points about
FreeBSD needing a big push, I'm just trying to make it clearer why
this hasn't really happened yet despite everyone's awareness of the
problem for over 3 years.  Putting together good advertising is a LOT
OF WORK.

Just something to be aware of before you take on the job. :-)

Perhaps if you and your friends did the art, some of the english
speakers here could work on the advertising copy.  I can give you guys
my little press handout if you're looking for verbiage, though it's
not going to be tremendously applicable to an advert that has to say
the same thing in about 1/10 the number of words.  That's an art. :)

					Jordan