Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 1996 12:30:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      kline@tera.com (Gary Kline)
To:        nate@sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        kline@ns3.noc.netcom.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mktemp()

According to Nate Williams:

> > The libc call mktemp() (along with strtok() and strsep(), by the way)
> > causes a coredump when I use it with gcc.  This from v 2.0.5.
>
> Are you calling mktemp() with memory that is writeable?  By default,
> strings are constants and un-writeable.
>
> > On the Suns at work, strtok and strsep both bomb with gcc v2.3.3
> > and both work with the standard Sun CC.
>
> Try adding -fwriteable-strings and I'll bet it will work.

	Thanks to everyone who wrote and clued me in.

	Part of me is back in the warm&fuzzy days when I'd use
	K&R and things would just work.  Also too often I would
	royally screw myself through quick-and-dirty hacks.

	gcc still get 5 stars; its warning messages have made
	me go back and look at//fix quick hacks and downright
	programming errors.

	Yes, people, there is a real diff between char *s
	and char s[].

	gary

	PS:  A ``NOTE'' in the appropriate man pages wouldn't hurt,
	indicentally....