Date:      Mon, 01 Jun 2009 15:31:54 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@dougbarton.us>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removal of deprecation for network_interfaces != AUTO

Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 02:28:22PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
>> Without objection I plan to commit the attached patch before the code
>> slush, and to MFC the change.
>
> I object.  Supporting values other than AUTO adds unnecessary
> complexity (not a lot, but some) and IMO leads to difficulty diagnosing
> proper system behavior.

Can you provide examples? I've seen this argument before, but I
seriously fail to understand it. The code to generate the list for
AUTO is trivial, and I've never seen a support question that was
caused by setting this to a different value.

> I'd much rather just delete network_interfaces entirely.
>
> I've never seen a valid use case, just failures to understand the
> current system.

One could argue that the current system needs better documentation
which should cover at least half that problem.

Meanwhile, I've objected to the original change several times, as have
various other users. After I committed the change BMS responded to my
message on the svn list to say that he is planning on using this
feature for a product that is currently in development as well.

>> I've never seen the rationale for this, and I use a value other than
>> AUTO personally for a script I have that tests to see if the wired
>> interface is up and starts the wireless if not. I've also seen other
>> users ask about this from time to time, so I'm sure I'm not alone.
>
> Please provide this script to support your argument.

I set the value of network_interfaces to "lo0 test" and then I have a
/etc/start_if.test script that checks to see if my wired interface is
up, initializes it if it is, and if not it checks to see which
wireless card I'm using and initializes that. I've actually spent
quite a lot of time trying to figure out how to accomplish something
similar with the current system but AFAICS we don't have a way to do
that without hooking it in at the point where the network interfaces
are actually configured.

At some point in the future when I get a whole bunch of free time I'd
like to extend what's in the base in order to do what I'm doing now
with my little script ...

Doug