Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 2002 01:38:51 +0100 (CET)
From:      Riccardo Torrini <riccardo@torrini.org>
To:        Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86 4.2.0 with G200 fail to start with signal 10

On 20-Mar-2002 (20:29:26/GMT) Will Andrews wrote:

>> With last update of world and ports I'm unable to start XFree86.
>> I have a matrox G200 (agp) and I have tryed with and without the
>> WITH_MATROX_GXX_DRIVER=yes but I got only a signal 10, core dump

> What is your pkg_info -Ia?

I removed _all_ ports and reinstalled them on 17, 18 and 19 march.

> I committed an updated version of the Matrox driver for
> XFree86-4-Server, maybe you don't have that?

cvsup-ed at 22:45 of 20.03.2002 (GMT+1, italy time).
and updated -libraries, -clients and -servers.

# ls /var/db/pkg/ | grep XFree86
XFree86-4.2.0_1,1
XFree86-FontServer-4.2.0
XFree86-Server-4.2.0
XFree86-clients-4.2.0_2
XFree86-documents-4.2.0
XFree86-font100dpi-4.2.0
XFree86-font75dpi-4.2.0
XFree86-fontCyrillic-4.2.0
XFree86-fontDefaultBitmaps-4.2.0
XFree86-fontEncodings-4.2.0
XFree86-fontScalable-4.2.0
XFree86-libraries-4.2.0_1

After a lot of test, finally I _found_ it !

I was able to start xdm (not wdm for now) _ONLY_ after killing
moused and using /dev/psm0 directly from /etc/X11/XF86Config.

This is the message that help me (changing /dev/sysmouse to
666 doesn't help):
        (EE) Mouse0: Write to mouse failed

For wdm maybe something related to PAM, I'm looking deep into
archived mail.  I can live in the meantime even with xdm  :-)

X-Server compiled _without_ WITH_MATROX_GXX_DRIVER magic flag.

As a little side effect I lost all eight consoles, switching
works but with black screen (even num-lock change state and
any command seems to 'at least' light on the hd led).

If you need any log from /var/log/ feel free to ask me.

Riccardo.