Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2000 12:00:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@dsuper.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mbuf re-write(s): v 0.2: request-for-comments

Dennis writes:

 > Its not really "wonderful" to those that have already implemented something
 > using the old method.

Speaking as somebody who maintains 3 out-of-tree network drivers & a
bunch of local code, all of which makes heavy use of external mbufs, I
certainly consider it to be "wonderful."

 > What version is this "patch" likely to find its way into the mainstream
 > code (or will it), as its likely to break our drivers.....

I presume that the reason it is being presented here is to collect
input.   This input may influence the patch.  I would imagine that it
would go into 5.0-CURRENT first.

At any rate, you might not need to make changes to anything other than
your function prototypes, depending on how your ext_free and ext_ref
functions are implemented.  He's basically changed the second arg of
those functions to take a void * which nobody else is going to look
at, so you can cast it to an int & use it as a simple counter or use
it as a pointer to a private data structure if you need more state.
Currently, that second arg is the ext_size, which was always pretty
useless (at least for me..).

Its hard to say what other changes are there since there are so many
whitespace changes that I cannot easily read it.  Perhaps you noticed
some other change which could break your drivers?

Cheers,

Drew