Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:58:09 +1100
From:      Tony Maher <anthony.maher@uts.edu.au>
To:        Andrzej Cuber <poczta@andrzejcuber.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a place for configuration files

Andrzej Cuber wrote:

> In RedHat and Fedora distributions all configuration files are located
> at /etc.
> I am very new to FreeBSD but I found it difficult. After installing
> desired package I have to add it to /etc/rc.conf in order to start it as
> a service and then I have to look for configuration folder in
> /usr/local/etc.
>
> Is there any reason why the configuration files are placed in those
> different locations?

If you want to be consistent you could add to /etc/rc.conf
rc_conf_files="/etc/rc.conf /etc/rc.conf.local /usr/local/etc/rc.conf"

Then your startup variables could go into /usr/local/etc/rc.conf and
all your ports config stuff would live in /usr/local/etc hierarchy.

There maybe a problem if /usr/local/etc/rc.conf is on another partition
not available early enough in startup process.  Caveat emptor.

--
tonym