Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 1999 15:01:15 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        "Jonathan D. Proulx" <jon@osfn.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Modem not responding at install

> On Wed, Aug 11, 1999 at 09:53:55AM -0400, Bill A. K. wrote:
> > do you really need to use PAP?
> > can't you just use login style authentication (e.g. just type in your user
> > name and password at the prompts and when the other side starts sending PPP,
> > just press SHIFT + ~ and then press P)?
> > let me know what happens.
>
> Two things...
>
> First	the screen (in ppp terminal mode) seems one character behind
> 	the responses from the process (local or remote) don't show up
> 	untill after I type the next character (which itself doesn't
> 	show up untill after the second character etc)
>
> 	This is bothersome since the prompts don't show-up untill
> 	after I start typing the response...it's a very simple
> 	standard login so this is surmountable.

Sounds like you've got an IRQ problem.  Are you sure your UART is
probing correctly (``dmesg | fgrep sio'', or pressing SCROLL LOCK and
a few PGUPs after booting) ?

> Second	the connection won't stay up. I get assigned my IP address
> 	packets start coming and going.  I switch back to tty1 hit OK
> 	and I sais it can't resolve ftp.freebsd.org.  I switch back to
> 	tty3 and the connection is down.  I've tried specifying both
> 	my primary and secondary DNS servers as "Domain Name Server"
> 	for "Gateway" I've tried both blank and 127.0.0.1 (this is a
> 	home computer with dynamic IP dial-up)

This is probably the same problem - your port doesn't work.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>