Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 21:54:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      Wesley Morgan <morganw@chemikals.org>
To:        Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@attbi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GCC 3.2.2 import -- questions

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Craig Rodrigues wrote:

> Many people are upgrading from 4.7.x to -current for the first
> time these days, so I thought I would mention that for reference.
>
> GCC 3.2.2 was an incremental bugfix over GCC 3.2.1, and there are no
> earth-shattering performance improvements.  I have not done
> such benchmarking myself, so have no empirical evidence to support this,
> but I am basing this on the traffic I have been watching on the
> GCC mailing list, and by reading the release notes
> at http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.2/changes.html .

Well what I am really interested in is whether or not higher levels of
optimization are more reliable now than before. Previously we have been
warned against using many of the CPU specific optimizations, especially
for the pentium 4, and the release notes offer little to support any
conclusions... So without digging through mountains of GCC mailing list
archives... Are these optimizations SAFER now?