Date:      03 Jul 1998 09:32:51 +0200
From:      smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com (Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav)
To:        Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, David Caldwell <caldwell_david@hotmail.com>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Beginning user's OS (was: Here is a really odd question!!!)

Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org> writes:
> On Fri, Jul 03, 1998 at 12:45:14PM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> > > My theory is that UNIX and operating systems that work like it will
> > > never die and they are fairly complex to understand,they require a fair
> > > amount of reading to be done before trying to make additions or changes
> > > and the rewards for working at it can be immense.
> I think you do discount some of the things that can be learned from
> DOS batch file programming (laugh if you will...I learned some pretty
> damn important stuff there) and QBasic (the advantage here is that the
> two may have friends also programming in QBasic -> larger support
> group) too quickly.  That said, the limit to what UNIX can teach you
> is much much farther away than the limit to what DOS can teach you.

I don't see a problem here. I have a friend at University (a PhD
student - incidentally, he's the author of /usr/ports/lang/cim) who is
teaching his son to program Tcl on Linux¹. The kid's got his own
serial terminal hooked up to his father's 486... He's doing great so
far. Then again, the kid's a little out of the ordinary: he's hooked
on math/logic games such as Rubik's cube and the likes (though I think
that hobby comes from his father)

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com

¹ Don't worry, his next computer will run FreeBSD - I've seen to that