Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 1997 17:49:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Michael Alwan <mjalwan@rma.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:    linux emulation and staroffice

-----FW: <XFMail.971020011733.mjalwan@rma.edu>-----

Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 00:57:00 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
From: Michael Alwan <mjalwan@rma.edu>
To: questions@FreeBSD.ORG

Sorry for the repeat post if no-one knows the answer to this; I got a strange
message from the mailer daemon.

To all:

Can someone enlighten me about all necessary steps to set up linux emulation and
 StarOffice on a 3.0 (current) machine?  As far as I understand, there seem to b
e these steps:

1) install linux_lib-2.4.tgz compatability package.
2) enable linux emulation in rc.conf.
3) reboot, check linux compatibility is running with modstat.
4) install StarOffice-3.1.tgz package, run each app individually to configure.

I've gotten through steps 1), 2) and 3), I think. Modstat indicates linux compat
ability is running.  StarOffice apps will not start, however; there does seem to
 be a missing library.

Somebody told me I also needed to install the port of linux shared libraries, in
 addition to the package of shared libraries, but this doesn't make sense to me.
  The port and package are the same libraries, aren't they?  Similarly, I was to
ld to enable linux emulation in the kernel conf file and remake the kernel; but
I thought you didn't have to do this in current.

I'd really appreciate any help!

Thanks

Michael Alwan
E-Mail: Michael Alwan <mjalwan@rma.edu>