Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 21:33:14 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xircom Ethernet driver patch for CE2 & CEM33

On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 07:33:51PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <20011119002035.B30992@localhost> Scott Mitchell writes:
> :   - Some changes supplied by Peter Fürst to prevent the driver becoming
> :     confused about the number of bytes to send, and not sending any
> :   - A few other minor tweaks
>
> Any what?

Anything at all.  It was an off-by-one error -- it seems the CE2 doesn't
like to send odd-sized packets, so if you feed the transmitter one less
byte than it expects it doesn't send any of them.  The CE3 doesn't have
this particular behaviour so I hadn't picked up on it.

> : Question: is there any way to enforce these restrictions from within the
> : driver?  The CIS on these cards doesn't appear to give any indication that
> : these addresses are not allowed.
>
> The bus picks address 0xd0000 for memory, and the driver wants to say
> "get bent, I can't use that, give me a different one"?  I don't think
> so.

I figured as much... I can come up with some comments to go in pccard.conf
above the CE2 entries explaining these restrictions, if that's the best
place for them to be.

> : I don't have a CE2 card, so I can't verify that these changes will do any
> : good at all... however, it still works with my CE3 so I don't think I've
> : made anything worse :-)
>
> I keep meaning to send you a CE2 card.  I'll give these tests a try.

Cool, and thanks for the patch.

	Scott