Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 15:33:14 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: X11 issues (XFree86-libs port uploaded)

On Sun, May 14, 2000 at 11:05:29PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> I've spent some time thinking about it, trying to see why breaking it up
> into smaller chunks might be a good thing.  About the only arguments I can
> see are negative ones, reasons why I'd much rather have more confidence
> that most people were required by the port to install ALL of
> XFree86.  Could you talk a bit about why you think breaking the port up
> could be regarded as a good thing?

1. 4.0-R shipped with FreeBSD 3.x binaries that require compat3x support
   to run.  This is because XFree86 Inc. will only provide bits for
   released products.  This causes us problems in .0 releases.
2. It should be pkg_* controlable.  We have this spiffy packaging system,
   and yet one of the biggest beheemiphs that could really be better
   controlled with it, isn't.
3. XFree86 Inc. will not provide us with FreeBSD/Alpha bits.

Need I go on?

> I'm not sure why breaking it up would be a needed first step in having our
> own setup (if someone wanted to do that).

Install the XFree86 package on the Alpha.  It installs every bit in the
world.  I really don't need all the PC-98 crud on my Alpha.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)