Date:      05 Jan 2002 13:05:12 -0500
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Makoto Matsushita <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, re@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: several locale renames were MFCed

On Sat, 2002-01-05 at 12:24, Alexey Zelkin wrote:
> hi,
>
> On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 02:05:07AM +0900, Makoto Matsushita wrote:
>
> > phantom> I've just MFCed following several locale renames
> >
> > Sigh.  Japanese locale name, ja_JP.eucJP, and tcsh problem is *not
> > yet* solved.  Release engineers, why you allow to do that?  I cannot
> > believe that this change is MFCed; ache, the man who changed the
> > locale name in 5-current, what do you think about this MFC?
> Sorry, I was not aware of this problem. Will take a look.
> Anyway, nothing changed for end-users with EUC -> euc?? rename.
>
> > Tcsh have a feature that it does set 'dspmbyte' variable
> > if and only if locale name is "ja_JP.EUC" (string match is performed)
> > or other Chinese, Japanese, and Korean locales.
> ja_JP.EUC still present and is a symlink to ja_JP.eucJP (i.e. they're
> absolutely identical).
>
> > phantom> In case if you'll experience any problems in locale specific
> > phantom> areas please notice me immidiately.
> >
> > Immidiately enough? :-)
> Yes.
>
> > phantom> PS: for most of old locale names compatibility shims are
> > phantom> present, except DIS_* -> ISO*-15. So, be adviced and switch
> > phantom> to ISO8859-15 if you've used DIS_* before.
> >
> > All shims does nothing to this problem, since tcsh compares current
> > LANG variable string and 'ja_JP.EUC' string, yes, just a string match.
> Leaving LANG=ja_JP.EUC is enough ? If so, just leave it as is in your
> environment until this problem gets fixed.

What about other locales (e.g. de_DE.ISO_8859-1)?  Will symlinks still
exist for backwards compatibility, or are the old locales being wiped
clean?  The reason I ask is that I just did some ports patches that add
the old FreeBSD locales to Mozilla and GDM.  I want to know if I have to
go back, and repatch things before 4.5-RELEASE.  Thanks.

Joe