Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 1996 16:23:53 +0200
From:      Andreas Sons <sons@BIK-GmbH.DE>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Modem/getty problem with 2.1.5

Hello!

I've tried to connect a Modem (ELSA 28.8 TQV) to a machine with FreeBSD.

In the /etc/ttys stands

ttyd1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.57600"  dialup  on

and in /etc/gettytab

std.57600|57600-baud:\
        :np:sp#57600:im=\r\n\n [shortened] \r\n\n:

When I want to connect, I am getting the banner and the
login-Prompt. After entering the User-ID the system asks for the
password and after that the connection hangs (Nothing happens anymore
until manual hangup). Sometimes I don't even get the banner, instead a
whole bunch of control characters. This problem occured on two
different machines, one is running FreeBSD-2.1.0R, the other
FreeBSD-2.1.5R, but on a machine with NetBSD-1.1 everything works well
(using the same cable).

I used tip to connect to the remote machine from FreeBSD and
Hyperterm from Win95 (what a nightmare...). Same result for both. I
tried different modems, same result.

What I'm doing wrong?

Andreas