Date:      Sun, 22 Nov 1998 12:41:55 -0400 (AST)
From:      Antonio Bemfica <bemfica@militzer.me.tuns.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Firewall Question

This question might be better suited to a firewall list, but since I'd
implement a firewall with FreeBSD, I decided to run the risk of asking it
here:

Must the machine acting as the firewall be physically "between" the
machines it is to protect and the rest of the world:

	world --> firewall box --> Hub --> protected machines

or is is possible to specify routes so that packets on the way to the
protected machines would be filtered by the firewall box before being
allowed to continue:

	world --> Hub --> firewall box --> protected machines

If so, I assume these routes would have to be set someplace before the
packets hit the hub on the subnet where the machines are. I'm fairly new
at this, and would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks

Antonio