Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2001 23:36:10 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marco Beishuizen <mbeis@planet.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   opera & zombie processes

Hi,

I have a question about Opera 5.0 under FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE. When I'm browsing
with Opera a lot of zombie processes are created. This goes on until the maximum
number of processes are reached. After that no process can be started. I found
out that only Opera does this and I can get rid of the zombie processes by
shutting Opera down and restarting it. When I start Opera it even begins
with 13 zombie processes, and during browsing it increases.

I even get the impression that this interferes with fetchmail, which at a
certain point stops fetching my mail.

Does anybody know how I can get Opera not creating these zombie processes?

I think I have resources enough. I have a PIII450 with 512mb ram. FBSD is with
"normal" use running with about 54 processes, no heavy stuff running and plenty
of free ram.

Thanks in advance

Kind regards,
Marco