Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 16:10:29 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        "laurens van alphen (craxx)" <freebsd.stable@lists.craxx.nl>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Weird NSLOOKUP output...

At 3:25 PM +0200 2000/6/22, laurens van alphen (craxx) wrote:

>  BB (big brother) has reported some nameserver problems with our
>  upstream.
>
>  - Maybe NSLOOKUP is broken (FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #4: Sun Jun 18 00:32:25 CEST
>  2000) because DIG works fine.

	It is normal for nslookup to try to lookup the name of the
nameserver it is told to be using, according to the IP address listed
in /etc/resolv.conf.  If there is a temporary DNS problem and there
are no other servers listed in /etc/resolv.conf (or that was the last
one), this can cause nslookup to abort.

	It is my understanding that the current version of nslookup is
unlikely to live much longer.  BIND-knowledgeable people I know of
strongly recommend that you use "dig" instead, and in fact I've heard
rumours that future versions of nslookup may in fact simply be
another interface to the "dig" program, or may be a script of some
sort that simply calls dig.