Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 11:05:52 GMT
From:      dme@zigzag.org
To:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.mt.net>
Cc:        Tom Greenwalt <tomg@fourthgen.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Yet another PPP question

Nate Williams writes:
: > Jan 16 20:38:25 fourthgen pppd[2916]: input: Unknown protocol (802b) received!
: > Jan 16 20:38:25 fourthgen pppd[2916]: input: Unknown protocol (803f) received!
: Thank M$ for this.  Basically, Microsoft asked for some extensions to
: the PPP protocol which were denied by the IETF for valid reasons.  (The
: extensions didn't belong at that lawyer and should have been part of a
: separate protocol).  Rather than being a good net-citizen, they ignored
: the results and implemented them anyway.

i don't think that this is actually the case.  802b is the protocol id
for ipx over ppp.  803f is the protocol id for netbios over ppp.  (see
rfc 1700).  win95 supports all of these over ppp, whereas the freebsd
ppp supports only lcp, ipcp, upap and chap in 2.1R.

you can stop win95 attempting to negotiate these protocols in the
`bindings' section of the options for the dial up adaptor in the
network settings (hey - great description dave).

i'm no fan of microsoft, but we should bash them for the right reasons
:-)
--
``The good news is that in 1995 we will have a good operating system and
  programming language; the bad news is that they will be Unix and C++.''