Date:      Sat, 22 Sep 2001 13:28:11 +0400
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Beech Rintoul <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, Peter Wemm <peter@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problems with latest current build

On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 12:13:02 +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> > > Hmm, if you have COMPAT_4x=TRUE in your /etc/make.conf, libc.so.4
> > > should be installed in /usr/lib/compat, and the latter (by default)
> > > is listed in the ``ldconfig_paths'' rc.conf(5) variable.
> >
> > "ldconfig -R" must be adeded to the end of install: target of each compat*
> > Makefile.
> >
> Huh?  We don't call ldconfig(8) for normal installworlds, when we upgrade
> /usr/lib libraries; this also would be bogus for the DESTDIR=/foo case.
> Also recall that ``installworld'' should normally be executed from the
> single-user mode, then rebooted into multi-user, and rc(8) script will
> run the ldconfig(8) setup as needed.

If some libraries added, removed or moved, system not sense it unless
'ldconfig -R' is called, so ports Mk files do it. When COMPATX remove
library from one place and put it to another, ldconfig must be called
somehow, manually or after reboot or in some another way.

If user just type 'make install' in lib/compat, it usually means he want
to continue from here, not reboot or single user, so if DESTDIR=/ better
way is to call ldconfig to reduce confusion.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
http://ache.pp.ru/