Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 1999 07:22:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jeff Gray <jwg@netbox.com>
To:        Questions at FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   fixed IP, losing net connection

Help is appreciated.

New PIII box, running 3.3 Release on cable modem with fixed IP. Intel
Card, fxp0    128MB of Ram. Single user machine, for now.

Runs wonderfully for awhile, 10 hours or so, sometimes longer. Then all of
a sudden I lose connection to the net.  cannot ping out.  can ping
localhost, can ping othermachines on the same network hub.  The outside
world can ping my IP [tried it from an unrelated connection].  telnetting
to my fixed IP, from the outside, leads to a connection refused message.

As far as I can tell when I lose connectivity nothing else is affected.
kde running fine as are all aps.

No error message in dmesg or /var/log/messages.  Nothing unusual.
netstat shows I am not connected
sockstat shows httpd, sendmail, telnet running
ps, of course, confirms it.

If I reboot then connection come back.  Hardy what I wish to do :-)

Tried killing inetd and restarting the daemon.
Tried kill -HUP 1
Neither gets connectivity back.

Two questions.

1.  How can I get connectivity back without rebooting?

2.  Likly cause of this problems?

Thanks
jeff